Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use Moven without signing up for the Smart Bank Account?
Yes, you can try Moven and track all your spending from your existing accounts. Simply select the bottom option “Add Existing Accounts” during sign up.
But why not take advantage of all of the benefits and features of the Moven Smart Banking account? It’s easy: Just select the ‘$’ icon at the bottom of the home screen and start to spend, save & live smarter today!
What is Moven?
Moven, founded in 2011, is the well-known, direct-to-consumer financial wellness mobile banking app, described by Wired, Forbes and the New York Times as the “Bank of the Future”.
Moven’s app, debit card, and advice-driven savings tools provide real-time, personalized spending insights that motivate customers to make smarter decisions, helping them ‘spend, save & live smarter’.
At Moven, we think about money differently. Life is not about “budgeting,” it’s about choices. While other money management tools bury you in spreadsheets, budgets and pie charts, we help you connect to your money as you’re spending it. We provide you with the right advice at the right place and time based on your spending habits.
What kind of mobile device do I need to use Moven?
Who can use Moven?
Is Moven a bank?
Why use Moven?
How does Moven work?
Moven provides a digital bank account, paired with an innovative app and Moven debit card to help you track your finances in real time and manage your overall
Adding money to your Moven account
Can I link an international bank account as a funding account?
What is a funding account?
Do you charge for deposits?
What if there are issues with my deposit?
Can I deposit cash or foreign currency?
Are my deposits safe?
Yes. All deposits are made with our partner bank and are insured to the FDIC limit (currently $250,000). FDIC insurance guarantees the safety of your deposits. To read more,
How do I set up direct deposit?
How can I add money to my Moven account?
- Direct Deposit: You can email yourself a Direct Deposit form directly from your Moven® mobile app! Simply select “Direct Deposit” from the “Add Money” menu, followed by “Email me a Direct Deposit Form”. This will send a Direct Deposit form with your account and routing numbers, along with a voided check, to the email associated with your Moven Spending account. Direct deposits are available by 11AM EST on the postdate set by your employer.
- Transfer money to Moven: Login to an existing bank account and transfer money to your Moven Account. You’ll need your Moven Account # and Routing # available in the App. Transfers take between 2-3 business days.
- Cash checks using Ingo: Sign up for Ingo and cash checks using your phone. Deposits in 10 days for free or instantly for a fee.
- Deposit cash on to your Moven Card: Go to any participating convenience store in the MasterCard® rePower™ network and deposit cash directly to your Moven account. Deposits instantly for a fee. (Please note: Moven does not charge a fee for this service. However, the locations offering MasterCard rePower will charge a fee.)
- Transfer using Moven: If you choose to add money to your account using ‘Transfer using Moven” you will need to setup you funding account (See Funding Account setup below). Once that is completed, you can add money to your account at any time from the “Add Money” > “Transfer Using Moven” screen. The transfer will take 4-5 business days.
How much can I deposit?
What is a trial deposit?
Spending and Sending Money
Can I wire money to or from my Moven account?
Can I send a check for any purpose?
Yes, you can send a check for any purpose. All of our checkseChecks are exactly like any other check accepted by your financial institution. If your financial institution does have questions, they can simply follow the directions on the check to verify its authenticity.
Can I go into overdraft?
What happens when I use my card while I’m travelling abroad?
How much money can I withdraw from an ATM in a day?
How do I withdraw cash?
Do I have a daily spending limit?
How can I pay for purchases?
Online/Phone: Use your card number to make online or bill payments at any online store that accepts MasterCard.
Apple Pay, Android Pay, and Samsung Pay: Add your Moven card to digital wallets to pay with Moven right from your phone. Simply launch Apple Pay, Android Pay, or Samsung Pay on your phone, enter your card details, and complete the verification steps. When paying in stores, simply hold your phone near the payment terminal to complete the payment.
If I request to "send a check", when will the money be taken from my account?
Funds will be withdrawn from your account within two business days and an electronic check will be emailed to you. It will be visible in your history as “Customer Service Application” once the funds have been debited.
What are the limits for sending a check?
You can send a check for any amount between $10-$4,000.
Card and Account Services
Does the Moven card have an EMV chip?
What can I do if I see an unauthorized or fraudulent charge on my account?
Can I create a joint Moven account?
What happens when my card is damaged or it expires?
What if I lost or misplaced my card?
What if I’m locked out of my account?
What if I forgot my password?
How do I change my contact details?
What do I do if I forgot my username?
Where are my account and routing numbers?
Using Wellness Features
I made a mistake in categorizing a transaction. How do I fix it?
Why do I have to categorize my transactions?
How do I re-categorize my transactions?
What are spending spikes?
What are wants & needs?
“Wants” reflects all of the transactions related to your discretionary spending: Dining Out, Shopping, Travel, Entertainment, Fees, and Cash.
“Needs” reflects all of the transactions related to basic living expenses: Home, Groceries, Transportation, Utilities, Education, and Health.
“Other” includes: Account Transfers, Business Expenses, Donations, Gifts, Income, Payments, Savings and Taxes. (These transactions will not be reflected in your typical spending.)
How does Moven calculate my typical spending?
What is the Spending Meter®?
- Green means go or below average
- Yellow means slow down
- Red means stop spending
What do I do if I am having trouble finding my bank, credit card or financial institution?
Does my Moven Stash have a separate account number?
How do I access money from my Moven Stash and move it?
How do I add money into my Moven Stash?
How do I sign up for the Moven Stash?
What is the Moven Stash?
Is my Moven Stash interest bearing?
Is my Moven Stash FDIC insured?
Linking Other Accounts
What do I do if I am having trouble linking an external account?
1. The name of the institution
2. The URL you use to login to the institution — for example, www.chase.com
3. The specific error message you receive when trying to add the account
Note: Please do not include your username and password in the support ticket.
Can I link foreign bank accounts?
Can I use Moven without linking an external account?
How do I unlink an external account?
How do I link an external account?
ATM fees may apply at non-STAR Surcharge-free ATMs, but these are charged by the terminal owner and not Moven. Due to the cost we incur for international ATM withdrawals, we will charge a fee for these transactions.
Are there any other fees?
There are fees in special circumstances (outlined in the cardholder agreement), which include the following:
1. Expedited Shipping: $30
2. Account Closure: $10
3. Replacement Cards: 2 free/year, $4.99 for any additional replacements
How much does Moven cost?
Moven is currently a free service.
- Expedited Shipping: $30
- Account Closure: $10
- Replacement Cards: 2 free/year, $4.99 for any additional replacements